SubjectRe: What PM should be and do (Was Re: Solving suspend-level confusion)
Hi!

> >> You can see that info today from userspace by looking in
> >> /sys/class/input, /sys/class/graphics, and /sys/block
>
> It is a minor point, but as many people are working on swsuspend right
> now, I thought I'd mentionned it. It seems (as of 2.6.8.rc1) that the
> screen is not shut down or put in a low power state when suspending to
> disk.
>
> I guess that for 99.5 % of the population, it is not an issue as the
> monitor is usually plugged in the power supply of the computer and
> power is cut when the computer shuts down. My monitor, however, is
> directly plugged in the mains outlet and, after a suspend to disk, it
> displays indefinitely an information box stating that it has no video
> signal coming in.

Hmm, pretty stupid monitor, it should timeout and poweroff itself.

> The X server knows how to shutdown (DPMS) the screen afer some
> inactivity, so I guess the kernel could do that while
> suspending. And it

If you shutdown monitor via DPMS then hard-turn the machine off, what
happens? Does monitor stay turned off? [If not, all hopes are off.]

> would be very nice if it would. But I believe there is no device
> driver handling the monitor, so I don't know where to do it.

radeonfb (etc) could do that, but support for this is poor, I agree.

Pavel