SubjectRe: Possible dcache BUG
On Thursday 05 August 2004 23:24, Linus Torvalds wrote:
>On Fri, 6 Aug 2004 wrote:
>> It doesn't even take a dput(). Look: we do list_del(), then
>> notice that sucker still has positive refcount and leave it alone.
>> Now think what happens on the next pass. That's right, we hit
>> that dentry *again*. And see that list_empty() is false. And do
>> list_del() one more time.
>Well, the sad part is that doing another list_del() won't even
> necessarily go *boom*. Most of the time it might even leave the
> list as-is, but often enough it should give list corruption.
>> However, what used to be e.g. next dentry might very well be freed
>> by now. *BOOM*.
>Absolutely. It does look like a rather nasty bug.
>It doesn't explain what Gene sees, though, unless you can explain
> how we'd get an anon dentry without knfsd/xfs. Oh well.
>I'll commit the obvious one-liner fix, since it might explain _some_
>problems people have seen.
> Linus

I just had to reboot, after about an 8 hour uptime with the 'one
liner' only on top of 2.6.8-rc3. Out of memory basicly. tvtime and
mozilla were casualties of what must be the Oom killer. Nothing in
the logs. I had seti@home, X, kde3.3-beta2, and its kmail, plus top,
tail, tvtime and mozilla. Moz died first, or at least thats what I
noticed first.

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
99.24% setiathome rank, not too shabby for a WV hillbilly attorneys please note, additions to this message
by Gene Heskett are: