    SubjectRe: Possible dcache BUG
    On Thursday 05 August 2004 23:24, Linus Torvalds wrote:
    >On Fri, 6 Aug 2004 wrote:
    >> It doesn't even take a dput(). Look: we do list_del(), then
    >> notice that sucker still has positive refcount and leave it alone.
    >> Now think what happens on the next pass. That's right, we hit
    >> that dentry *again*. And see that list_empty() is false. And do
    >> list_del() one more time.
    >Well, the sad part is that doing another list_del() won't even
    > necessarily go *boom*. Most of the time it might even leave the
    > list as-is, but often enough it should give list corruption.
    >> However, what used to be e.g. next dentry might very well be freed
    >> by now. *BOOM*.
    >Absolutely. It does look like a rather nasty bug.
    >It doesn't explain what Gene sees, though, unless you can explain
    > how we'd get an anon dentry without knfsd/xfs. Oh well.
    >I'll commit the obvious one-liner fix, since it might explain _some_
    >problems people have seen.
    > Linus

    I just had to reboot, after about an 8 hour uptime with the 'one
    liner' only on top of 2.6.8-rc3. Out of memory basicly. tvtime and
    mozilla were casualties of what must be the Oom killer. Nothing in
    the logs. I had seti@home, X, kde3.3-beta2, and its kmail, plus top,
    tail, tvtime and mozilla. Moz died first, or at least thats what I
    noticed first.

    Cheers, Gene
    -Ed Howdershelt (Author)
    99.24% setiathome rank, not too shabby for a WV hillbilly attorneys please note, additions to this message
    by Gene Heskett are:

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:05    [W:0.030 / U:32.428 seconds]