SubjectRe: libata: dma, io error messages
Alan Cox wrote:
> On Gwe, 2004-08-06 at 11:29, Paul Jakma wrote:
>
>>scsi0: ERROR on channel 0, id 0, lun 0, CDB: Read (10) 00 02 05 d0 06 00 00 10 00
>>Current sda: sense key Medium Error
>

> Disk error
>

>>Additional sense: Unrecovered read error - auto reallocate failed
>

> Bad block, and sufficiently bad that it couldn't then recover the block
> and rewrite it. When a drive sees a marginal read (lot of forward error
> correction recovery needed) it will try and rewrite or move the block.
>
> In this case it couldn't read the block enough to move it.

Unfortunately, in libata all it means at this point is
(a) the error occurred on a read command, and
(b) we did not attempt to retry the command

So, a generic non-specific error you see on all errors.

libata does not (yet) retry cable errors, for example. Paul, don't
automatically assume the disk is bad, try swapping cables.

Jeff

©2003-2011 Jasper Spaans