    SubjectRe: Possible dcache BUG
    Date
    On Wednesday 04 August 2004 23:46, Andrew Morton wrote:
    >Gene Heskett <gene.heskett@verizon.net> wrote:
    >> On Monday 02 August 2004 09:14, Brett Charbeneau wrote:
    >> >Greetings,
    >> >
    >> > I am getting the oops below - twice since 7/26, but I haven't a
    >> >clue what's causing it.
    >> > I am not a subscriber, so any replies directed to me would be
    >> >gratefully received.
    >> > Thank you for your hard work on this!
    >>
    >> The attachment this gentleman included specifically points to
    >> prune_dcache(). Thats nice. It also means I'm not alone. See
    >> the 'prune_dcache() Oops, the saga continues' thread.
    >
    >Except he's running a 2.4 kernel.
    >
    >Is there any reason why I'm wrong in thinking that you have dodgy
    >hardware?

    Well, it has, in the past week, ran memtest86-3a for 12 full passes
    over the whole gig of ram with no errors. This was the longest test,
    I gave it a 2 hour, 5 pass test before I ever booted linux the first
    time on this motherboard over 2 weeks ago now, a new Biostar
    M7NCD-Pro, with an nforce2(3?) chipset. I did that because I was
    comeing from an older board whose memory had been overstressed by a
    failing video card and I wanted to make sure this new memory, nearly
    $210 worth of it, was good. I gave it another, probably 4 hour test
    after the first couple of crashes, which it also passed. And it got
    worse as the kernel versions incremented from 2.6.7. I can have the
    same fault in prune_dcache() while running a 2.6.7 kernel without an
    instant lockup, but it will eventually die, maybe half an hour later.
    Move to 2.6.7-mm1, which has a patch to fs/dcache.c that remains
    untouched thru 2.6.8-rc2, and those kernels, if they lock up, do it
    totally, often with nothing in the logs at all. That was the case
    today, on 2.6.8-rc3, which has a new dcache.c patch in it if I read
    the release notes correctly.

    If this is dodgy hardware, give me something to take to tcwo.com when
    I ask for an rma. Not having M$ windows of any kind here, I frankly
    haven't had the inclination to look at the cd's that came with the
    board. Should I?

    Or does linux have a hardware test suite I've not heard about?

    --
    Cheers, Gene
    -Ed Howdershelt (Author)

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:04    [W:0.025 / U:0.800 seconds]