SubjectRe: 2.6.8-rc2-mm2
Date
Ingo Molnar writes:

> * Con Kolivas <kernel@kolivas.org> wrote:
>
>> Ingo Molnar writes:
>>
>> Thanks for replying.

>> >it also has clear interactivity problems when just running lots of CPU
>> >hogs even with the default interactive=1 compute=0 setting.
>>
>> Can you define them please? I haven't had any reported to me.
>
> sure: take a process that uses 85% of CPU time (and sleeps 15% of the
> time) if running on an idle system. Start just two of these hogs at
> normal priority. 2.6.8-rc2-mm2 becomes almost instantly unusable even
> over a text console: a single 'top' refresh takes ages, 'ls' displays
> one line per second or so. Start more of these and the system
> effectively locks up.

It's only if I physically try and create such a test application that I can
reproduce it. I haven't found any real world load that does that - but of
course that doesn't mean I should discount it. However, interactive mode off
doesn't exhibit it and it should be easy enough to fix for interactive mode
on. Thanks for pointing it out.

Cheers,
Con

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:04    [W:0.196 / U:0.020 seconds]