    SubjectRe: 2.6.8-rc2-mm2
    Date
    Ingo Molnar writes:

    > * Con Kolivas <kernel@kolivas.org> wrote:
    >
    >> Ingo Molnar writes:
    >>
    >> Thanks for replying.

    >> >it also has clear interactivity problems when just running lots of CPU
    >> >hogs even with the default interactive=1 compute=0 setting.
    >>
    >> Can you define them please? I haven't had any reported to me.
    >
    > sure: take a process that uses 85% of CPU time (and sleeps 15% of the
    > time) if running on an idle system. Start just two of these hogs at
    > normal priority. 2.6.8-rc2-mm2 becomes almost instantly unusable even
    > over a text console: a single 'top' refresh takes ages, 'ls' displays
    > one line per second or so. Start more of these and the system
    > effectively locks up.

    It's only if I physically try and create such a test application that I can
    reproduce it. I haven't found any real world load that does that - but of
    course that doesn't mean I should discount it. However, interactive mode off
    doesn't exhibit it and it should be easy enough to fix for interactive mode
    on. Thanks for pointing it out.

    Cheers,
    Con

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:04    [W:0.023 / U:0.108 seconds]