    SubjectKernel or Grub bug.
    Intro:With some level of trepidation I post this. I am not a programmer
    but a computer consultant. I have been round and round on this issue and
    have been pushed into this last effort, in hopes of getting Linux
    working for me.

    Issue: $600 dollar phone worthless as it's palm functions do not sync.
    Hareware/OS: IBM Thinkpad T41 SuSE 9.1 running KDE 3.2

    History: Per conversation with pilot-link devoloper (refernaced here
    August/001924.html) their is a 'known issue' with the SuSE 9.1 ( ) which
    I use. This is in conjunction with a buggy visor module (again,
    referenced in email thread). SuSE says this is not their issue (unless I
    put down a credit card:>) but acknowledge that it does look strange
    (ticket number upon request). Only recourse is to move to a none 'buggy'
    kernel (ie. >= 2.6.7)

    Problem: Whenever I compile a kernel, with full patching on
    any system and attempt to boot it I halt with the following error
    "Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(0,0)"

    What I have tried: Several variations of: Fedora Core vs SuSE, reiserfs
    vs ext3, or lilo vs grub. All yeild the same error. Also built
    variations of 2.4 kernels and booted them on each system test to ensure
    that my kernel compile skills were not missing something stupid or that
    their was a hardware issue. I have also done seval weeks worth of LUG
    and google searching and inquiries and have not come up with any
    suggestions that worked (lots of them ... but none fixing the kernel
    booting issue).
    Google hit on what APEARS to be many others hitting same issue:

    I have also tried all suggestions or checks referenced therein

    Kernel build process used:
    1) Download kernel source from (linux-
    2) Download Base Patches (patch-2.6.9-rc1.bz2)
    3) Download Kernel Developer Specific tree Patches if desired (patch-
    4) 'cd /usr/src' -> place where all the source files will be put
    5) Copy kernel file you downloaded into source directory -
    >'cp /tmp/linux- /usr/src'
    6) Unpack kernel -> "bzip2 -d linux-"
    7) Untar kernel -> "tar -xvf linux-"
    9) Enter into kernel source directory -> "cd /usr/src/linux-"
    10) Copy kernel patch files to current directory -> "cp /tmp/patch* ."
    11) Unpack patch files "bzip2 -d patch-2.6.9-rc1.bz2;bzip2 -d patch-
    12) Apply the main tree patch "patch -p1 < patch-2.6.9-rc1"
    13) Apply kernel devolper patch if desired or downloaded "patch -p1 <
    14) Copy configuration from currently running kernel
    "cp /proc/config.gz /usr/src/linux-"
    15) Unpack currenty running system config file and move change it to
    correct name "gzip -d config.gz;mv config .config"
    16) Modify 'Makefile' the reflect current extraversion. Use 'vi' editor
    to change it like example "EXTRAVERSION = .1-MyKernel"
    17) Configure system specific settings via 'make menuconfig' or 'make
    18) After exiting utity and saving configuration we can start compile
    'make bzImage'
    19) Copy the completed kernel image for booting 'cp
    arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/vmlinuz-'
    20) After that completes we can compile required modules and install
    them into /lib/modules 'make modules;make modules_install'
    21) Now that the kernel is complete we can build a RAMDISK if required
    22) Lastly is to modify boot parameters for bootloader.
    Likely /boot/grub/grub.conf or /boot/grub/menu.conf

    Current Partition information:
    Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
    /dev/hda1 1 217 102501 83 Linux -> /boot
    /dev/hda2 218 2384 1023907+ 82 Linux swap
    /dev/hda3 2385 61950 28144935 83 Linux -> /

    Current GRUB config file:
    color white/blue black/light-gray
    default 0
    timeout 8
    gfxmenu (hd0,0)/message

    ###Don't change this comment - YaST2 identifier: Original name: linux###
    title Linux
    kernel (hd0,0)/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda3 showopts
    initrd (hd0,0)/initrd

    kernel (hd0,0)/vmlinuz- showopts
    initrd (hd0,0)/initrd-

    I have also tried "root=0303" per conversation with LUG members where
    major and minor numbers were referenced instead of labels or /dev/hdaX
    ls /dev/hda3
    brw-rw---- 1 root disk 3, 3 Apr 6 09:27 hda3

    I apologize for the mound of information. I would rather post too much
    then too little. I would also usually join the list but being on SuSE,
    Evolution, and Palm is enough right now with my day-job:>)

    Please post directly back to me at the email listed below. I can supply
    far greater detail as needed.

    Jeremey Wise

    All opinions or information expressed here are personal in nature and do
    not reflect the official position of Agilysys Inc.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:05    [W:0.027 / U:2.968 seconds]