| Hi!
|

|>| uservfs does
|>|
|>| cd foo.deb#uar
|>cd foo.deb/ar
|>| vs.
|>| cd foo.deb#udeb
|>cd foo.deb/deb
|>
|>and why would you want that, instead of just:
|>cd foo.deb # for the ar
|>dpkg -i foo.deb # for the deb
|

| Because I want to see contents of that .deb package, nicely parsed?
|

|>Just want to extract the tar file? Maybe something like
|>cat foo.tgz/gunzip
|>In which case (of course) foo.tgz/gunzip has exactly the same directory
|>contents as foo.tgz
|

| Yes, that would work.
|

|>In fact, for just about any syntax anyone could suggest, I can't really
|>see why you can't just replace all weird symbols with a slash and a
|>symbol. Instead of
|> foo.tgz#utar
|>you have
|> foo.tgz/#/utar
|>Only difference is, some things which used to require special tools can
|>now be serviced by less than what's in busybox.
|

| That would work, too. I do not get your comment about busybox.

Busybox is a bare minimum of unix tools, yet still includes things like
tar/bz2. With such a system, you can use the most basic (sub-GNU)
versions of tools like cp, cat, sh, ls, and so on, to do much more
complex operations. What's more, you can see everything you can do to a
file just by looking at it. I can certainly imagine doing
cat foo.tgz/metas/README
rather than a google search for tgz, followed by a "man tar" and "man
gzip". Assuming I know nothing about tar/gzip files, it's a lot easier
as a new user to have one common interface for everything -- including
docs. Fewer commands to memorize, faster to learn new stuff.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:05    [W:0.521 / U:1.896 seconds]