    SubjectRe: [2.6 patch] kill __always_inline
    On Tue, Aug 31, 2004 at 03:36:49PM -0700, Andrew Morton wrote:
    > Adrian Bunk <bunk@fs.tum.de> wrote:
    > >
    > > An issue that we already discussed at 2.6.8-rc2-mm2 times:
    > >
    > > 2.6.9-rc1 includes __always_inline which was formerly in -mm.
    > > __always_inline doesn't make any sense:
    > >
    > > __always_inline is _exactly_ the same as __inline__, __inline and inline .
    > >

    > > The patch below removes __always_inline again:
    >
    > But what happens if we later change `inline' so that it doesn't do
    > the `always inline' thing?
    >
    > An explicit usage of __always_inline is semantically different than
    > boring old `inline'.

    Who audits all current users of inline whether they are __always_inline?

    Who ensures, that in the future there will always be the right one of
    inline and __always_inline choosen in the kernel?

    If it doesn't give a compile or runtime error for anyone when it's
    wrong, many wrong inline/__always_inline will go into the kernel over
    time.

    The intention might be a different semantics, but in the end, it won't
    work.

    E.g., check how many wrong __init/__exit annotations show up in 2.6,
    each of whom would have been a compile error in 2.4 (and different
    from a wrong inline/__always_inline, a wrong __init/__exit annotation
    can cause real problems for users).

    If you want to change inline at some point, you will have to audit all
    users of inline anyway - so why bother if you don't intend to change
    inline in the forseeable future?

    cu
    Adrian

    "Only a promise," Lao Er said.