Subject(was: Re: PATCH: cdrecord: avoiding scsi device numbering for ide devices)
Christer Weinigel wrote:

> Pascal Schmidt <der.eremit@email.de> writes:

> [...] if I have write permisson to a CD burner, being able to
> burn a coaster by issuing strange commands is something I expect.
> Being able to destroy the firmware of the drive is not something I
> expect a normal user to be able to do.
>
> There are at least three conflicting goals here:
>
> 1. Only someone with CAP_SYS_RAWIO (i.e. root) should be able to do
> possible destructive things to a device, and only root should be
> able to bypass the normal security checks in the kernel (e.g. get
> access to /dev/mem since access to it means that you can read and
> modify internal kernel structures).
>
> 2. A Linux system should have as few suid root binaries as possible.
>
> 3. A normal user should be able to perform most tasks without needing
> root.

I hope this is not a stupid idea:

I propose a finer-grained approach to suid-root binaries. Perhaps,
instead of having a single flag giving the binary all the rights and
responsibilities of its owner, there could be a table/list/something of
capabilities which we want to grant to the binary. This, of course,
would be a privileged operation (perhaps a new capability?).

For example, we might want to grant cdrecord CAP_SYS_RAWIO. This way, we
don't have to worry about cdrecord running as root and not dropping all
the capabilities it doesn't need, by accident or by malice.

Further, and I realize that this would probably require major
restructuring, perhaps there could be another field: for each capability
we want to grant, a method to specify _where_ the binary can use that
capability.

To extend the previous example: we might want to give cdrecord
CAP_SYS_RAWIO just on, say, /dev/burner0 and /dev/burner1, but not
/dev/hda. That way, some typo won't have us trying to burn cds with our
hard disks.

Again, I hope it's not a stupid idea. I don't have a working
implementation, and I'm not even sure if it's even possible, but it's a
thought.
--
electronerd (jonathan s myers)
code poet and recycle bin monitor