    Hans Reiser wrote:
    > I think there are two ways to analyze the code boundary issue. One is
    > "does it belong in the kernel?" Another is, "does it belong in the
    > filesystem. and if so should name resolution in a filesystem be split
    > into two parts, one in kernel, and one in user space." In ten years I
    > might have the knowledge needed to make such a split, but I know for
    > sure that I don't know how to do it today without regretting it
    > tomorrow, and I don't really have confidence that I will ever be able to
    > do it without losing performance.

    I don't see how exporting a set of indices on file attributes to
    userspace constitutes putting part of the name resolution into
    userspace. A file's name (or names, in the case of hardlinks) would
    still be determined entirely within the filesystem.

    The more I think about it, the more I am convinced that "the index" is
    the correct primative to use for exposing any filesystem's fast
    searching features.

    --
    Will Dyson
    "Back off man, I'm a scientist!" -Dr. Peter Venkman