SubjectRe: [util-linux] readprofile ignores the last element in /proc/profile
William Lee Irwin III wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 25, 2004 at 12:22:09AM +0900, mita akinobu wrote:
>
>>The readprofile command does not print the number of clock ticks about
>>the last element in profiling buffer.
>>Since the number of clock ticks which occur on the module functions is
>>as same as the value of the last element of prof_buffer[]. when many
>>ticks occur on there, some users who browsing the output of readprofile
>>may overlook the fact that the bottle-neck may exist in the modules.
>>I create the patch which enable to print clock ticks of the last
>>element as "*unknown*".
>

> Well, since I couldn't stop vomiting for hours after I looked at the
> code for readprofile(1), here's a reimplementation, with various
> misfeatures removed, included as a MIME attachment.

While you're at it, can readprofile work by reading the symbols from
/proc/kallsyms?

If it can, this could be added to the list of files that it tries to
open, so that it could work even if System.map wasn't available.

--
Paulo Marques - www.grupopie.com

To err is human, but to really foul things up requires a computer.
Farmers' Almanac, 1978