    SubjectRe: reiser4 plugins
    On Sat, Aug 28, 2004 at 05:09:28AM -0500, Steve Bergman wrote:
    > On Fri, 2004-08-27 at 23:54 -0700, Hans Reiser wrote:
    > > >
    > > I didn't write this (more precisely, it only vaguely resembles what I
    > > wrote in 1996). Are you saying that it reports system time as real
    > > time? If yes, then it is an error, we need to go remove a bunch of
    > > numbers from our benchmarks, and thanks for finding it.
    > >
    > > Zam, please comment.
    > >

    > No. I'm saying that on my setup (kernel 2.6.8.1-mm4/perl 5.8.5/bash
    > 3.00) the first line returned from running the test is the:
    >
    > [1]+ Done ...

    > line which throws the array indexes off by 1 and I always get 0 for the
    > real time and, yes, the real time gets reported as the system time, I
    > think. Plus I get a warning about the fact that "Done" is not numeric.
    > This is obviously a problem with my particular setup.

    Yes. but that real/sys time parsing isn't reliable.

    > After bumping the indexes up by 1, I get the correct real time reported
    > as "STAT REAL_TIME". And the system time is reported as "STAT
    > CPU_TIME".
    >
    > "STAT CPU_UTIL", however is computed in a completely different way based
    > on numbers collected from /proc/stat. If I'm, reading
    > linux/Documentation/filesystems/proc.txt correctly, it is trying to
    > return the (system time) / (total time). The total time agrees with
    > "STAT REAL_TIME". However, the (system time) that it comes up with here
    > is always considerably higher than "STAT CPU_TIME".

    CPU_UTIL counts other background processes too. The foreground process may just wait
    when all work is done by pdflush. I think CPU_UTIL is more useful than CPU_TIME.

    > User error is quite possible, as I am:
    >
    > 1. Just getting to know mongo.
    > 2. Not a perl guy.

    i don't like perl too much, but seems Perl is perfect for the things you just did (the fixes).

    --
    Alex.