SubjectRe: DTrace-like analysis possible with future Linux kernels?
On Sat, 28 Aug 2004, David S. Miller wrote:

> On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 02:14:03 +0200 (CEST)
> Tomasz Kłoczko <kloczek@rudy.mif.pg.gda.pl> wrote:
>
>> If fact Solaris works quite well on usual desktop size computer.
>
> Check out the Solaris driver selection on x86 these days,
> it still stinks. It is unlikely they'll ever have the coverage
> Linux does any time soon.

You are right with that. However it's getting better.
On the other hand Solaris works on a really wide spectrum of x86 servers
(Dell, HP, IBM). I've installed it on x86 servers from 1-way to 8-way
Compaqs. I've installed it on several desktop systems too.
But you are right - Linux has more drivers on x86 for some 'exotic'
hardware and home use. And has much more drivers for PCI RAID cards.

> Frankly, if the only specific technical feature Sun has to brag
> about in Solaris 10 is DTrace, that's pretty sad. Even more so,
> most of the bugs I see being fixed in Solaris kernel patches
> are performance regressions against Linux. This, given how things
> were 6 or 7 years ago and the things the Solaris folks used to
> flame us for, I find particularly amusing.

1. Why do you think that DTrace is the onle 'cool' feature in Solaris 10?
Please stop FUD.

Frankly, if the only specific technical feature Linux has to brag about
in Linux 2.6 is KProbes, that's pretty sad.

:P

2. "most of the bugs I see being fixed in Solaris kernel patches"

1. there are no patches to Solaris 10 kernel so far, so you can't
see them

2. you are probably talking about some patches for Solaris 9 kernel
coming from project ATLAS (performance improvements on x86 - to be
as fast or faster then other OSes on the same hardware)

3. and definitely you overstated saying these are most of the patches
in fact I would be suprised if there are more then 10-20 such
patches (and hundreds others). Maybe you see this 'coz you are
looking for word 'Linux' in patches? :)))

3. "Solaris folks used to flame us for,"

You know - there're trolls in every community.

And this thread was about DTrace and Linux tracing technologies (and not
trolls, PDAs, other features)... and I know, Linux can run on PDAs.
Ok, so when it comes to profiling and debugging:

1. Solaris has DTrace, ptools ant others
2. Linux runs on PDAs

:)))))))

ps. sorry for that... on the other hand a little bit of humour is ok :)

--
Robert Milkowski
milek@rudy.mif.pg.gda.pl

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:05    [W:0.088 / U:0.372 seconds]