On Sun, 29 Aug 2004, Trond Myklebust wrote:

> Well, yes there has to be a distinction between a true bind mount which
> actually covers the file or directory, and something like the stream
> "bind mount" which doesn't.
>
> The stream "bind mount" is just there to allow you to root the
> attributes in a single tree. It can be made functionally entirely
> equivalent to the openat(), but uses pathname semantics (e.g., "//") to
> denote the attribute fork instead of an extra function call.

Using '//' would be nice, but would break real apps. If I remember
correctly, POSIX specifies that '//' can be special at the _beginning_ of
a path, but in the middle, it has to act like a single '/'.

And that's not just theory - it's quite common for programs to just
concatenate a directory name (which may or may not end with a slash) with
another path-name that starts with a slash. So you _will_ see existing
scripts and programs using things like "/usr/include//sys/type.h", and
they'd break if "//" would switch from "regular namespace" to "attribute
namespace".

So I don't see any way to extend pathname semantics to distinguish between
"directory contents" and "directory attribute stream".

> > It's easy enough to do the graph detection at the VFS layer, exactly
> > because of the density of the dentry graph.
>
> Don't you end up having to lock the entire paths b/c/d and a/e/f in
> order to prevent "ln a b/c/d/a; ln b a/e/f/b"?

That's not the problem - since it's in memory, we can just get the dcache
lock, and do it locked for t least local filesystems.

However, being prodded by Andries, I think I'm wrong _anyway_. Since the
dcache is only "dense" down one path to the root, and doesn't contain all
the alternate ways of getting to a particular directory, I came to the
conclusion that the VFS layer can't actually do cyclic detection after
all...

So together with the fact that nobody really _wants_ hardlinks to
directories, I think the right answer is "no". It's not a problem as long
as the attributes streams are always tied to the file/directory they are
attributes of - then the "directory link" is really just a file link, and
can't cause any cycles.

> > - how to actually test this out in practice (ie getting reiser4 to do the
> > proper thing wrt the VFS layer, but preferably _also_ having another
> > filesystem like NFSv4 or cifs that actually uses this and shows what
> > the problems are).
>
> As I said, NFSv4 can be made ready pretty quickly: Bruce is already
> finishing up the xattr implementation.

Do we have any servers that implement it? I think NFSv4 might be a good
test-case if so.

> > - whether it makes any sense at all unless we also make at least a few
> > other filesystems support it, so that people start using it as an
> > "expected feature" rather than a "works only on a couple of machines".
>
> NTFS? ;-)

Hey, I see the smiley, but I'd still like to point out that not many
people use it under Linux, and while I think writing to it might be stable
these days, I don't believe named streams are necessarily going to
materialize all that quickly..

Linus

  Last update: 2009-11-18 23:46    [W:0.384 / U:0.376 seconds]