    SubjectRe: [BENCHMARK] nproc: netlink access to /proc information

    On Sun, Aug 29, 2004 at 12:07:33PM -0700, Paul Jackson wrote:
    > Thanks, Roger and William, for your good work here. I'm sure that SGI's
    > big bertha's will benefit.
    > In glancing at the get_tgid_list() I see it is careful to only pick off
    > 20 (PROC_MAXPIDS) slots at a time. But elsewhere in the kernel, I see
    > several uses of "do_each_thread()" which rip through the entire task
    > list in a single shot.
    > Is there a simple explanation for why it is ok in one place to take on
    > the entire task list in a single sweep, but in another it is important
    > to drop the lock every 20 slots?

    PROC_MAXPIDS is the size of the buffer used to temporarily store the
    pid's while doing user copies, so that potentially blocking operations
    may be done to transmit the pid's to userspace.

    Introducing another whole-tasklist scan, even if feasible, is probably
    not a good idea.

    On Sun, Aug 29, 2004 at 12:07:33PM -0700, Paul Jackson wrote:
    > From the code and nice comments, I see that:
    > (1) the work that had to be done by proc_pid_readdir(), the caller of
    > get_tgid_list(), required dropping the task list lock, and
    > (2) so the harvested tgid's had to be stashed in a temp buffer.
    > So perhaps the reason for not doing this in a single pass is:
    > (3) it was not doable or not desirable (which one?) to size that temp
    > buffer large enough to hold all the harvested tgid's in one pass.
    > But my understanding is losing the scent of the trail at this point.

    Using a larger, dynamically-allocated buffer may be better. e.g.
    allocating a page to buffer pid's with.

    A solution to the problem of the quadratic algorithm I wrote long ago
    restructured the tasklist as an rbtree so that the position in the
    tasklist could be recovered in O(lg(n)) time. Unfortunately, this
    increases the write hold time of tasklist_lock.

    -- wli

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:05    [W:4.922 / U:0.152 seconds]