SubjectRe: pwc+pwcx is not illegal
Date
Hi,

A part of this discussion has to do with the expiration of the NDA covering
pwcx. Can you disclose the NDA?
Also a person on the list tried to contact the correct person within Philips.
Can you disclose the contact person or department which you used about 3
years ago?

Best regards,

Norbert van Nobelen

On Sunday 29 August 2004 18:33, Nemosoft Unv. wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Sunday 29 August 2004 16:00, Alan Cox wrote:
> > On Gwe, 2004-08-27 at 20:29, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> > > So stop whining about it. The driver got removed because the author
> > > asked for it.
> >
> > Please put it back, minus the hooks so the rest of the world can use it.
>
> No, don't! There is one very practial reason for that: the utter confusion
> it will cause when suddenly PWCX cannot be loaded anymore, because users
> will assume that since PWC is in the kernel, PWCX will work too. I really
> would not like to be at the receiving end of the support mailbox when 2.6.9
> comes out with such a crippled version of PWC.
>
> That's one of the reasons I requested PWC to be removed. For me, it's also
> a matter of quality: what good is a half-baked driver in the kernel when
> you need to patch it first to get it working fully again? I don't want my
> name attached to that.
>
> > If not please remove every line of code I've even written because I
> > don't like the new attitude .. so ner..
> >
> > Point made ? We can't go around throwing out drivers because the author
> > had a tantrum.
>
> I'm not having a tantrum. If it is, it has been one in the making for 3
> years.
>
> > Its also trivial to move the decompressor to user space
> > where it should be anyway.
>
> *sigh* As I have been saying a 100 times before, it is illogical,
> cumbersome for both users and developers, and will probably take a very
> long time to adopt (notwithstanding V4L2 [*]).
>
> I mean, I still remember when the YUV->RGB conversion code was snipped from
> PWC when I supplied it for inclusing in the kernel, back in 2001. It took a
> long, long time for webcam tools to adjust their code to check for the YUV
> palette and do the conversion themselves, and _to_this_very_day_ I'm
> getting mails about programs who still don't get it right.
>
> *IF* there was a commonly accepted video "middle-layer", this would not
> pose much of a problem. But there is no such thing yet.
>
> (maybe that's something for a 2.7 kernel...)
>
> > Similarly the driver is useful without the binary stuff.
>
> True. But judging from the mails I have received the last couple of days,
> people don't really care about the binary stuff, as long as it works. They
> want to use the cam to its full potential, so PWCX is more or less a
> necessity. However, there's has now been added an extra hurdle in getting
> it work, for reasons I find questionable, and really, 3 years too late.
>
> Seriously, this probably would not have happened if, back in 2001, the
> driver was rejected on the basis of this hook (you were there, Alan...) I
> never made a secret of it, it has been in the driver from day 1 and its
> purpose was clearly spelled out. If it had been rejected, I would probably
> have just switched to '3rd party module' mode and maintained it outside the
> kernel indefinetely. I would not have liked it, but it would have been
> [...]

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:05    [W:0.071 / U:0.868 seconds]