SubjectRe: PWC driver changes
On Sat, 28 Aug 2004, Jeremy wrote:

> This whole affair is especially disappointing for me, as I just got a Phillips
> webcam up and running the other day using pwcx.

I received mine just one day too late... And I guess I'm not the only one.
The fact that I bought it especially because of Linux support after trying
3 other cams last week, adds some irony to ease the bitterness. :)

> Will some kind soul please
> post something indicating which files contained the hook? Was it part of pwc
> somewhere?

Yes. I assume it's all the stuff that contains the word 'decompressor'.
Such as:

- pdev->decompressor = NULL;
+ /* Find our decompressor, if any */
+ pdev->decompressor = pwc_find_decompressor(pdev->type);

You can easily do a diff between the previous kernel version and a more
recent one without the hooks.

Here's the patch that removed the whole driver:
http://linux.bkbits.net:8080/linux-2.6/gnupatch@412d8e0cqutBsdGubqorXXCeHHdS2g

You can reverse-patch this and then do a diff compare between the tree and
the pwc-9.0.2 package. Or find the patchset that removed the hook.

A quick look with diff shows changes in:
./pwc-ctrl.c
./pwc-if.c
./pwc-uncompress.h
./pwc.h

> I'd like to compare the older kernel sources I have to the 2.6.8 I
> just downloaded so I can see what I need to change in order to keep pwcx
> working.

Do email Philips customer support though. Let them know you use linux,
bought their product and want a driver.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:05    [W:0.078 / U:0.648 seconds]