SubjectRe: kernel 2.6.8 pwc patches and counterpatches
On Fri, 27 Aug 2004, Miles Bader wrote:

> How about asking the companies which are churning out products with
> secret proprietary interfaces and half-assed broken windows/intel-only
> drivers to explain _themselves_ to your girlfriend?

Because they made a driver (or at least aided in the development by
supplying some information) that works. Which is more than can be said of
other webcam producing companies. Also note that a big part of their
driver actually is opensource.

> After all, you gave them your money, and still they're screwing you.
> Pretty inexcusable if you ask me.

That's true, but at least with this Philips driver I was only half screwed
for using Linux. It worked. And I refuse to tell people around me that I
can't install a webcam because Linux doesn't support it. And I'll be
damned if I install windows just to get a little webcam working.

I at least understand your reasoning, since I am familiar with and respect
opensource principles, but no sane non-opensource person will say: "Oh,
I'd really like to have a webcam, but hey, I run Linux..." I might be
fanatical enough to deny myself any non-opensource friendly hardware, but
this reasoning does not fly with other people around me. I might swallow
and send an angry letter to the company, but my girlfriend would install
Windows and get on with her life. Which is why it's so damn important that
Linux supports at least some of these devices people can actually buy.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:05    [W:0.193 / U:0.072 seconds]