Paul Jackson wrote:

>Helge wrote:
>

>>So an old "tar" won't get this right as it will assume that an object
>>is either file or directory.
>>

>There are many backup apps, not just one. I've written a few myself,
>none of which will ever be worthy of notice. The sourceforge
>Topic.System.Archiving.Backup lists 335 projects at present.
>
>I find the idea that most backup tools and scripts will silently
>stop working correctly to be pretty scary.

They won't stop working, they will merely not support
the new features. That is only a problem if
you actually use those features. If all you have
is plain files and plain directories - no problem. Not
if files-as-directories are implemented right.

Helge Hafting

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:05    [W:0.777 / U:26.740 seconds]