    Hello Markus,

    Friday, August 27, 2004, 11:21:31 AM, you wrote:

    > On Thu, Aug 26, 2004 at 04:57:26PM -0400, Lee Revell wrote:
    >>On Thu, 2004-08-26 at 16:50, Christophe Saout wrote:
    >>> are read-only and system-wide and the user-overridden changes. I don't
    >>> know if all of these things would really make sense inside the kernel.
    >>True. FWIW, I never use most of those features. It's just too damn
    >>slow. Windows seems to implement all of the useful features of
    >>GnomeVFS, and they are 10x faster.

    > Are they in the kernel in Windows?

    Some are, some aren't :)

    Many of the features are between the FS and the application layers.
    Therefore they will work with all programs that use the Windows API
    to access files etc. I do not think that many programs actually
    access disks directly at the FS or below level. Exceptions would
    perhaps be file-recovery tools etc.

    Others are simply plugins to Windows Explorer.

    I don't know if all, any, or none, are installed at the kernel
    level. I doubt they are.

    But the problem with Linux seem to be that programs actually do
    access the FS directly. Therefore everything will break if you
    change the FS structures to much.

    Like I said, this is IMHO something that Linux should somehow solve.
    Applications should really not access the filesystems directly.
    Perhaps Grub and stuff like it should, but not many other.

    ~S

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:05    [W:4.098 / U:0.552 seconds]