SubjectRe: reverse engineering pwcx
Craig Milo Rogers wrote:

> Hmmm... a poster on Slashdot claims that entropy measurements
>imply that the pwcx code is interpolating rather that truly
>decompressing. Again, that's integer math and table lookups.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00005R098/102-7619892-0201738?v=glance

claims that the Logitech Quickcam Pro 3000 is a "True 640 x 480
resolution video capture" which is now clearly false.

It would appear I have found an answer to my question. The reason
Philips made Nemosoft sign an NDA was not to hide proprietory
information from their competitors. It was to hide the fact that they
were misrepresenting the resolution of their cameras to their
customers. No wonder Nemosoft did not feel right about opening this
module even after the NDA expired, he would be telling the world their
dirty little secret. Of course I'm sure this was common knowledge to
all those people who work in robotics and always demand an uncompressed
stream from the camera.

Trent Waddington
Decompiler maintainer, http://boomerang.sourceforge.net/

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:05    [W:0.066 / U:0.132 seconds]