    Subject: Re: Termination of the Philips Webcam Driver (pwc)
    From: Craig Milo Rogers <rogers () isi ! edu>
    Date: 2004-08-27 18:55:41
    [Download message RAW]

    On 04.08.27, Linus Torvalds wrote:
    > But Greg is right - we don't keep hooks that are there purely for binary
    > drivers. If somebody wants a binary driver, it had better be a whole
    > independent thing - and it won't be distributed with the kernel.

    If you read Nemosoft's final driver release (which has been
    reposted, and of which I now have a copy), you can see that he was
    rewriting his code to move the proprietary codecs out of the kernel
    entirely, and into user-mode libraries to be linked with consenting
    applications -- he was quite sensitive to the kernel issues involved.
    Of course, this is still nowhere as good as a wholly open source
    solution, a position with which I think Nemosoft concurs, based on his
    messages.

    Linus, would you adress a moot issue, please? If Nemosoft (or
    someone else) were to release some of the codecs in question as one or
    more open-source loadable kernel modules (similar to sound card
    support modules in the ALSA system), while other codecs remain
    binary-only loadable kernel modules (distributed outside the kernel,
    but using the same hook as the open-source loadable modules), would
    the pwc driver and codec extension hook be allowable, in your opinion,
    please?

    Craig Milo Rogers

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:05    [W:0.021 / U:0.832 seconds]