    On Fri, 2004-08-27 at 14:27, Hans Reiser wrote:
    > Rik van Riel wrote:
    > >On Fri, 27 Aug 2004, Hans Reiser wrote:
    > >
    > >>Why are you guys even considering going to any pain at all to distort
    > >>semantics for the sake of backup? tar is easy, we'll fix it and send in
    > >>a patch.
    > >
    > >Because not everybody uses tar. Quite a few people use a
    > >network backup system, while others use duplicity, RPM uses
    > >cpio internally and big companies tend to use proprietary
    > >network backup suites.
    > >
    > >Breaking people's setup is something to worry about.
    > >
    > It is the tail that should not wag the dog. New semantics are going to
    > break backups other than dd. We need a LOT of new semantics if we
    > don't want to be inferior to Apple and MS.
    >
    > We should implement backup plugin methods though, so that we only have
    > to break things once....

    Every Linux shop I know of uses amanda anyway, which will not be
    affected by these changes, as it uses dump/restore. restore will need
    minor changes, I think dump might not have to be changed at all.

    If your backup system can't easily handle these changes, that's a pretty
    good indication that it's poorly designed.

    Lee

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:05    [W:0.038 / U:89.848 seconds]