SubjectRe: HDD LED doesn't light.
Just an FYI... historically, the LED has been driven in PATA with a
signal known as /DASP, this is an active-low signal called "Drive
Active / Slave Present" and a PATA drive asserts this signal when
processing a command.

If I understand it right, in SATA, instead of a wire-based protocol,
we have a serialized packet-based protocol, so there was no driving of
an LED in the initial specification. Revisions to the specification
have since commandeered one of the pins on the power connector for use
as a /DASP signal to drive an LED. However, to do that you obviously
can't be using a MOLEX->SATA power adapter, you need a motherboard
that natively supports SATA. The 3112 you mention attempts to be a
native SATA solution, it doesn't act merely as a PATA->SATA converter.
Therefore, they may not have done the DASP- signal internally.

Another option would be one of the new 4+ port SATA RAID adapters that
has LEDs on the adapter board itself.

On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 21:40:33 -0600, Robert Hancock <hancockr@shaw.ca> wrote:
> I seem to remember hearing somewhere that some or all of the Silicon Image
> SATA chips have to control the HDD activity light output by twiddling some
> GPIO outputs in the driver, it's not inherently done in the hardware as with
> most controllers..

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:05    [W:0.068 / U:1.628 seconds]