SubjectRe: Possible dcache BUG
Date
On Tuesday 24 August 2004 22:33, Gene Heskett wrote:
(going for the longest running thread on lkml)

>>> No, this is straight out of the memburn output (after I'd fixed
>>> the
>>
>>that's weird that you're finding that pattern in virtual addresses.
>> i wouldn't expect that. even if you're booting to single user,
>> certain variables might change during boot and cause different
>> physical pages to be mapped. maybe single user is more
>> deterministic than i think, though.
>
>Well, FWIW, and not knowing a hell of a lot about it, I would assume
>(there's *that* word again) that even the virtual addresses would be
>long word aligned with reality even if otherwise totally bogus. I
>mean you'd really have to go out of your way to make it otherwise on
>x86 hardware wouldn't you?
>
>ATM I'm running on one stick, with memburn hacking away at 128 megs
>worth of it, Passed round 5683, elapsed 23530.67 at the moment. And
>about 100 megs into swap, darnit. And it isn't running anything
> else unusual, x/kde/kmail/mozilla & an occasional game of sol.
>
>If it runs till tommorrow morning, I'll assume this stick is good,
> and put the other one in the same socket for a similar test. If it
> passes, then I try the other socket one stick at a time.

Ok, I've now shuffled both sticks thru both "B" sockets on this mobo,
and neither one could run memburn more than 20 minutes, and again,
the errors are all in the xx of nnnnxxnn in hex display formats.
So, I've put both sticks back in, in the A and B2 sockets ATM. That
ran about 25 minutes before memburn got a tummy ache. In the
meantime I'd rebuilt 2.6.9-rc1-mm1 with hi-mem support again, and the
last reboot I took a detour thru the bios and turned the memory
voltage up 100mv to 2.6 volts. Running memburn against 400 megs of
it has now been running for around 40 minutes.

So, my question for the hardware folks is: Whats the proper voltage to
run a bank of DDR400 dimms in Dual Channel mode?

Humm, I spoke too soon, memburn has exited, with this:
Ahh, fudge, one cannot copy/paste from a virtual term. Suffice to say
that the address is odd, that the error is in the usual 3rd byte of 4
position within the 32 bit read.

Since it appears that TCWO is gone, bankrupt or whatever, and I like
the features of this board otherwise, can someone suggest howto go
about getting a warranty replacement direct from Biostar? I'll go
visit the web page again, but I don't recall seeing any suitable
links the last time I was there checking on updated bios files.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:05    [W:1.557 / U:0.012 seconds]