Am Donnerstag, den 26.08.2004, 16:38 -0400 schrieb Lee Revell:

> > It has always bugged me that Gnome and KDE implement their own VFS layers.
>
> Same here. This always seemed like something the kernel should be able
> to handle. It seems to me that if reiser4 had been available at the
> time the Gnome and KDE developers would not have needed to do this.

Well, the kernel doesn't have a filesystem that speaks http, scp and
those things. GnomeVFS is URL-based. It has some pseudo-protocols that
extract a pseudo directory-tree for all installed applications + the
changes the used made, created on the fly from a set of XML files that
are read-only and system-wide and the user-overridden changes. I don't
know if all of these things would really make sense inside the kernel.

©2003-2011 Jasper Spaans