    Am Donnerstag, den 26.08.2004, 14:00 -0700 schrieb Martin J. Bligh:

    > > "It's a feature".
    > >
    > > The S_ISDIR/S_ISREG tests show real information: it shows not only user
    > > intent ("you should consider this a file, even if it has attributes"), but
    > > also whether it is a directory or a container.
    > >
    > > And there's a real technical difference there: the streams contained
    > > within a file are bound to that file. The files contained within a
    > > directory are _independent_ of that directory. Big difference. HUGE
    > > difference.
    > >
    > > So it's not confusing. If it tests as a file, you think of it as a file.
    > > It may have attributes aka named streams associated with it, and you may
    > > be able to open those attributes by treating the file as a directory, but
    > > that doesn't really change the fact that it's a file.
    > >
    > > The _big_ difference is that when you can make the compound object _look_
    > > like a directory, that means that you can now manage the attributes with
    > > standard tools. They are still attributes, though.
    > I think what you're saying is that they'd both return positive, right?

    No. A file is still a file and S_ISREG will thus return false.
    The application should just try to open it as a directory if it wants to
    access the assiociated embedded attribute files. If the open fails,
    well, it knows that the filesystem (or Linux version, whatever) doesn't
    support this feature.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:05    [W:0.022 / U:13.856 seconds]