    On Thu, Aug 26, 2004 at 12:32:00AM -0500, Matt Mackall wrote:

    >What it breaks is the concept of a file. In ways that are ill-defined,
    >not portable, hard to work with, and needlessly complex. Along the
    >way, it breaks every single application that ever thought it knew what
    >a file was.

    It breaks the concept of a file. In ways that offer more versatility,
    challenge the imagination to make even better progress and keeps
    Linux competing with competitors who are implementing this stuff
    as we speak.

    I for one would truly welcome the coming of thumbnails and descriptions
    in picture files, because I have a real-life project going on where
    that would be extremely handy to have in the actual file.
    Were I any richer, I'd pay Namesys to have this work for me :)

    >Find some silly person with an iBook and open a shell on OS X. Use cp
    >to copy a file with a resource fork. Oh look, the Finder has no idea
    >what the new file is, even though it looks exactly identical in the
    >shell. Isn't that _wonderful_? Now try cat < a > b on a file with a
    >fork. How is that ever going to work?

    Then I guess OS X ships a broken implementation of cp, yes?

    On the cat example, what if cat < a > b simply copies the "main stream"
    and not the metadata, as a feature. The key being, "as a feature"

    The metadata streams could get file descriptors of their own OR
    another program, streamcat or something, could be written to compensate.

    >I like cat < a > b. You can keep your progress.

    With all due respect, I hope not too many people agree with you :)

    --
    mjt