On Thu, 26 Aug 2004, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> So "/tmp/bash" is _not_ two different things. It is _one_ entity, that
> contains both a standard data stream (the "file" part) _and_ pointers to
> other named streams (the "directory" part).

Thinking about it some more, how would file managers and
file chosers handle this situation ?

Currently the user browses the directory tree and when
the user clicks on something, one of the following
happens:

1) if it is a directory, the file manager/choser changes
into that directory

2) if it is a file, the file is opened

Now how do we present things to users ?

How will users know when an object can only be chdired
into, or only be opened ?

For objects that do both, how does the user choose ?

Do we really want to have a file paradigm that's different
from the other OSes out there ?

What happens when users want to transfer data from Linux
to another system ?