    On Thu, 26 Aug 2004, Linus Torvalds wrote:
    > On Thu, 26 Aug 2004, Rik van Riel wrote:
    > >
    > > So you'd have both a file and a directory that just happen
    > > to have the same name ? How would this work in the dcache?
    > There would be only one entry in the dcache. The lookup will select
    > whether it opens the file or the directory based on O_DIRECTORY (and
    > usage, of course - if it's in the middle of a path, it obviously needs to
    > be opened as a directory regardless).

    Hmmm, I just straced "cp /bin/bash /tmp".
    One line stood out as a potential problem:

    open("/tmp/bash", O_WRONLY|O_CREAT|O_LARGEFILE, 0100755) = 4

    What do we do with O_CREAT ?

    Do we always allow both a directory and a file to be created with
    the same name ?

    Does this create a new class of "symlink attack" style security
    holes ?

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:05    [W:0.020 / U:11.416 seconds]