    Am Donnerstag, den 26.08.2004, 12:32 -0400 schrieb Will Dyson:

    > > Andrew, we need to compete with WinFS and Dominic Giampaolo's filesystem
    > > for Apple, and that means we need to put search engine and database
    > > functionality into the filesystem. It takes 11 years of serious
    >
    > I'm very curious about your ideas on how to put search engine and
    > database functionality into the filesystem.

    I could imagine something like this.

    There are some special folders or files or whatever under every file
    where some userspace can put some metadata. A keyword perhaps.

    echo linux > file.bla/keywords/topic

    The filesystem might then automatically put these keywords into an index
    and then provide a search mechanism elsewhere where it could ask "find
    me all dentries with the keyword 'linux'." and it would return a list
    like locate does. Only that it's in realtime and also works when moving
    the file around (but not when copying with an unaware program for
    obvious reasons).

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:05    [W:0.022 / U:31.216 seconds]