    Jamie Lokier wrote:

    > However, as far as I know it's not accessible in a file-as-directory
    > form as yet. In my opinion that is the most natural form and it would
    > be very intuitive to use. I hope we can pick a useful semantics for
    > them, and also provide filesystem-independent plugins with GNU
    > Hurd-like per-user extensibility.
    > -- Jamie
    > * plenty == too much.
    > Gnome, KDE, Emacs and Bash all see different virtual filesystems.
    > (All but Bash implement their own virtual filesystem extensions).
    > That makes them much less useful than they could be.

    It has always bugged me that Gnome and KDE implement their own VFS layers.

    It seems to me that having a standard userspace filesystem layer like
    FUSE ( would provide a lot of the
    benefit that HURD users (all 5 of them) see from filesystem
    "translators". Now, safely allowing unprivileged users to run arbitrary
    userspace filesystems would be a real trick. But, if it were possible,
    it could be combined with files-as-directories in some rather neat ways.

    Will Dyson
    "Back off man, I'm a scientist!" -Dr. Peter Venkman

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:05    [W:0.020 / U:6.432 seconds]