On Thu, Aug 26, 2004 at 12:45:47PM +0200, Christian Mayrhuber wrote:
> There is the reiser4() syscall which you surely don't want to implement for
> other filesystems.

Actually a syscall that goes into filesystem code is the last thing we want.
But it's not in the submission, so let's keep that flame^H^H^H^Hdiscussion
for later.

> Once there is some experience with this new fancy stuff the dust what
> is useful/insecure, etc. and what is not will settle and can be condensed
> into a vfs api.
> Apps like samba and user scripts will have to be adapted once this is
> the case, but this should not be to big a problem if this stuff is marked
> experimental.
>
> People which want something stable can continue to use xattrs and a
> magnitude of filesystems for now.

Sure, no one stops you from playing around with new semantics. But please
don't add them to the linux kernel stable series until we have semantics we
a) want to stick to for a while and b) actually work.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:05    [W:0.621 / U:0.440 seconds]