SubjectRe: TG3(Tigoon) & Kernel 2.4.27
Hi David,

On Tue, Aug 24, 2004 at 11:34:07AM -0700, David S. Miller wrote:

> Oh on the contrary, I've never seen a call to request_firmware()
> in any copy of the tg3 driver and that's strange being that I'm
> the maintainer. :-)
>
> People, if you're going to use patched up kernels, report your
> problems to the people you got the kernel from. Thanks.

I think that he's using a debian kernel and thinks he's using a vanilla
kernel while it's not. I've just installed one on an ultra5 and discovered
a directory with about 60 patches, one of which was dedicated to the removal
of this "undesired closed-source tg3 firmware" ! I was happy not having lost
time debugging this on a machine with a tg3 NIC.

I find it a bit odd when distro makers don't clearly put their name in their
kernels, because it confuses people who honnestly think it's a vanilla one.
Indeed, I'm yet not really sure what they put in the kernel that booted my
sparc, but it's not a problem now since I've replaced it ;-)

Cheers,
Willy

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:05    [W:0.066 / U:0.804 seconds]