    On Wed, 25 Aug 2004, Matt Mackall wrote:

    > > It's the UNIX way.
    > I thought the UNIX way is "everything's a file", not "everything's a
    > directory".

    It really was. Directories were historically largely just files too,
    although with the special "lookup" operation.

    Historic unix didn't have readdir/rmdir/mkdir/rename or really much _any_
    special directory handling. Directories were just files, and you read them
    like files.

    Of course, even in that early unix, "directories" were very much a
    reality even apart from the fact that they happened to be implemented
    pretty much like files. Nobody has ever claimed that the UNIX way is
    "everything is _one_ file", after all ;)

    > > Will it potentially break something? Sure. Do we care? Me, I'll take that
    > > kind of extension _any_ day over xattrs, that are fundamentally flawed in
    > > my opinion and totally useless.
    > There's always the option that they're both broken.

    Yes. Highly likely. However, something like that _does_ end up what a
    Windows fileserver wants. IOW, even if it's broken, _something_ is likely
    forced on us by that nasty thing we call "real users". Damn them.

      Last update: 2009-11-18 23:46    [W:0.026 / U:335.628 seconds]