    On Wed, Aug 25, 2004 at 01:24:36PM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:
    > On Wed, 25 Aug 2004, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
    > >
    > > Over the last at least five years we've taken as much as possible
    > > semantics out of the filesystems and into the VFS layer, thus having
    > > a separation between the semantical layer (VFS) and the low level
    > > filesystem. Your attributes are absoultely a VFS thing and as such
    > > should not happen at the filesystem layer, and no, that doesn't mean
    > > they're bad per se, I just think they are a rather bad fit for Linux.
    > Now this I agree with, in the sense that I think that if we want to
    > support this, it should be supported at a VFS layer.

    ACK. However, I'm still not seeing *ANYTHING* that would look like a workable
    scheme in presense of hardlinks. Show me how to make that deadlock- and
    race-free and we might very well do it in VFS.

    _That_ is what's missing and it's needed no matter where it's implemented.
    You want hybrid objects - you want to solve that one. So far I've seen
    nothing workable.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:05    [W:0.021 / U:34.652 seconds]