On Tue, Aug 24, 2004 at 09:53:44PM +0100, viro@parcelfarce.linux.theplanet.co.uk wrote:

> Feh. That's far from the worst parts of the mess introduced by "hybrid"
> crap - trivial sys_link(2) deadlocks triggerable by any user rate a bit
> higher on the suckitude scale, IMO.

While we are at it - consider these hybrids vetoed until
a) sys_link()/sys_link() deadlock is fixed
b) sys_link()/sys_rename() deadlock is fixed
c) correctness proof of the locking scheme (in
Documentation/filesystems/directory-locking) is updated to match the
presense of the file/directory hybrids.

Rationale: (a) and (b) - immediately exploitable by any user, (c) - "convince
us that there's no more crap of that kind". IMO a reasonable request, seeing
that the first look at the patches in -mm4 had turned up two exploits in
that area, despite the *YEARS* of warnings about potential trouble and need
to be careful there (actually, I've given Hans too much credit and assumed
that link/link never happens since nobody would be dumb enough to provide
->link() method for non-directory inodes; turns out that somebody is dumb
enough and link/link is as exploitable as link/rename).

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:05    [W:1.202 / U:0.052 seconds]