    I don't know what or why, but I am experiancing a nightmare with
    interactivity and heavy nfs use. I am using Gentoo, and I have my
    portage tree exported from a central server. Trying to do an emerge
    update world is taking forever.

    During the time it is scanning the portage tree it takes 2 - 3 minutes
    to load Firefox. It also took almost 5 minuts to load GAIM. Once GAIM
    loaded, none of the screens would paint. I halted the emerge and
    instantly Gaim painted and all the web pages I was waiting for in
    firefox finished. So I unleashed emerge again, and tried to load more
    local-only apps. Same problem. Horrible delays. Halt emerge, and boom,
    everything snappy and fast.

    So, as long as I don't use NFS, this is spectacular, but NFS access is
    murdering me.

    In any case, I would take from recommendations. For testing, etc. I am
    on the list, but if there is testing, please CC my address.

    CPU: Pentium 4 - 1.7Ghz.

    memory - [swap usage is already much improved]:
    total used free shared buffers cached
    Mem: 775200 499796 275404 0 5200 126816
    -/+ buffers/cache: 367780 407420
    Swap: 799992 0 799992

    /dev/hda2 39G 26G 13G 67% /

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:05    [W:0.030 / U:4.168 seconds]