SubjectRe: 2.6.8.1-ck4
I don't know what or why, but I am experiancing a nightmare with
interactivity and heavy nfs use. I am using Gentoo, and I have my
portage tree exported from a central server. Trying to do an emerge
update world is taking forever.

During the time it is scanning the portage tree it takes 2 - 3 minutes
to load Firefox. It also took almost 5 minuts to load GAIM. Once GAIM
loaded, none of the screens would paint. I halted the emerge and
instantly Gaim painted and all the web pages I was waiting for in
firefox finished. So I unleashed emerge again, and tried to load more
local-only apps. Same problem. Horrible delays. Halt emerge, and boom,
everything snappy and fast.

So, as long as I don't use NFS, this is spectacular, but NFS access is
murdering me.

In any case, I would take from recommendations. For testing, etc. I am
on the list, but if there is testing, please CC my address.

CPU: Pentium 4 - 1.7Ghz.

memory - [swap usage is already much improved]:
total used free shared buffers cached
Mem: 775200 499796 275404 0 5200 126816
-/+ buffers/cache: 367780 407420
Swap: 799992 0 799992

Root:
/dev/hda2 39G 26G 13G 67% /

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:05    [W:0.697 / U:0.200 seconds]