    SubjectRe: Nonotify 0.3.2 (A simple dnotify replacement)
    On Sun, 2004-08-22 at 14:29, Pascal Schmidt wrote:
    > On Sun, 22 Aug 2004 05:40:06 +0200, you wrote in linux.kernel:
    > > 2) The /dev/nonotify device:
    > >
    > > /dev/nonotify has the only purpose to offer a special stat() call via
    > > ioctl to read the contents_mtime field of directories (together with
    > > atime, mtime, ctime). The client has to set the 'filename' field of the
    > > 'nonotify_stat' structure and receives the four timespec fields updated
    > > via ioctl.
    > A lot of people here (Linus, for instance) frown on ioctl() interfaces.
    > They're hard to do right in 32/64bit compat layers, for example. How
    > about using a syscall interface instead?

    Nonotify uses ioctl mainly for 'pragmatical' reasons. A syscall would be
    technically better - that's for sure, actually it was my initial idea to
    use one (or to change the stat-call).

    But i didn't want to bother people with asking to assign me a
    syscall-number before even knowing if they like my idea. And changing it
    to use a syscall lateron would be no problem at all from the concept of

    Also - as a kernel newbie - i didn't find any good documentation how to
    add my own syscall into the kernel. I just wanted to get nonotify
    working as an 'optional patch', without changing tons of files.

    But you could help me if you have a look at my ioctl function. I'm using
    a structure which contains a char* pointer and four timespec fields. Do
    you know if this causes problems with 32/64bit compatibility.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:05    [W:0.030 / U:6.180 seconds]