    Joerg Schilling wrote:
    > A powerful CD/DVD recording program needs to sometimes issue "secret"
    > and vendor unique SCSI commands in order to give nice features.
    > On a Plextor drive, you need to be able to issue a vendor unique SCSI command
    > to know the recommended write speed for a specific medium. A SCSI command
    > from same list of vendor unique commands allows you to tell the drive to read
    > any medium at 52x. This could destroy the medium _and_ the drive.
    > As you see: you cannot have the needed knowledge inside the kernel.

    Actually I was wondering about this exactly: why shouldn't this
    knowledge be built into the kernel? IMO it should be. Isn't the
    kernel purpose to do that, among other things? HAL?

    Giuseppe "Oblomov" Bilotta

    Can't you see
    It all makes perfect sense
    Expressed in dollar and cents
    Pounds shillings and pence
    (Roger Waters)

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:05    [W:0.020 / U:5.172 seconds]