    Joerg Schilling wrote:
    > A powerful CD/DVD recording program needs to sometimes issue "secret"
    > and vendor unique SCSI commands in order to give nice features.
    >
    > On a Plextor drive, you need to be able to issue a vendor unique SCSI command
    > to know the recommended write speed for a specific medium. A SCSI command
    > from same list of vendor unique commands allows you to tell the drive to read
    > any medium at 52x. This could destroy the medium _and_ the drive.
    >
    > As you see: you cannot have the needed knowledge inside the kernel.

    Actually I was wondering about this exactly: why shouldn't this
    knowledge be built into the kernel? IMO it should be. Isn't the
    kernel purpose to do that, among other things? HAL?

    --
    Giuseppe "Oblomov" Bilotta

    Can't you see
    It all makes perfect sense
    Expressed in dollar and cents
    Pounds shillings and pence
    (Roger Waters)

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:05    [W:0.068 / U:0.040 seconds]