    /me keeping to the bad habit of following up to myself

    Regarding the current 2.6.8 kernel, wouldn't it be a better idea to
    move the CAP_SYS_RAWIO check to open time instead of when the ioctl is
    called? This would require a new flag somewhere in the file structure
    I suppose, e.g. file->f_mode & FMODE_RAWIO.

    That would allow a suid root application to open the cdrom and then
    drop all capabilities including RAWIO and would probably fit better
    into how cdrecord expects things to work.

    /Christer

    Freelance consultant specializing in device driver programming for Linux
    Christer Weinigel <christer@weinigel.se> http://www.weinigel.se