    SubjectRe: Linux Incompatibility List
    From Alan Cox on Sunday, 22 August, 2004:
    >On Sad, 2004-08-21 at 20:41, David N. Welton wrote:
    >I think the "compatibility list" side is the more important. Trying to
    >punish non helpful products/vendors isn't as productive as helping stuff
    >that is Linux friendly.

    Definitely. It's great to know that Linux works with a device, since
    I know that I can buy it and actually *use* it. Double points if
    the *device* works with *linux*!
    That said, there are lots of devices out there that aren't listed in the
    compatibility list. I'd be nice to know if they *don't* work, since I
    won't feel tempted (if the price is right) to take it home and try it
    out. Although, as another point, it'd be nice to bring all of the
    various device compatibility lists together in one place, esp. for the
    HAL/D-BUS/Utopia system, so that they could potentially query the list
    over the net. Bonus points for a downloadable version for the distros!
    Also, a known-helpful vendor list would be great, as I would be much more
    inclined to buy stuff from vendors who support Linux (as opposed to
    Linux supporting them). It's important to me, and I like to put my
    money where my mouth is. :)
    In short, we should definitely work on maintaining a big device and vendor
    compatibility list ([butter]flies, honey, vinegar), but a known-bad/hostile
    list is also a nice thing to have, so that we can know to take our
    dollars elsewhere.

    -Joseph

    --
    Graduate Student in Physics, Freelance Free Software Developer