    On Sat, 21 Aug 2004 14:50:08 +0200, you wrote in linux.kernel:

    > If the owners and permissions of the filesystem have been set up correctly,
    > then there is no security problem.

    The previous Linux implementation allowed users with *read* access
    to the device to send arbitrary SG_IO commands. Giving read permission
    to normal users is quite common, to allow them to run isosize or play
    their freshly burned SVCDs with mplayer.

    It violated the principle of least surprise that a user can screw
    the device without even having write permission.

    Yes, it breaks user-space programs, and yes, the kernel is to blame
    for its previous behavior, not user-space. However, now we need to
    get on, and going back to the previous behavior, which because
    the discussion is now a well-known security hole, is not an option.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:05    [W:0.021 / U:4.380 seconds]