    SubjectRe: DTrace-like analysis possible with future Linux kernels?
    On Fri, 2004-08-20 at 02:23, Florian Weimer wrote:
    > * Julien Oster:
    >
    > > Miles Lane <miles.lane@comcast.net> writes:
    > >
    > >> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/07/08/dtrace_user_take/:
    > >> "Sun sees DTrace as a big advantage for Solaris over other versions of Unix
    > >> and Linux."
    > >
    > > That article is way too hypey.
    >
    > Maybe, but DTrace seems to solve one really pressing problem: tracking
    > disk I/O to the processes causing it. Unexplained high I/O
    > utilization is a *very* common problem, and there aren't any tools to
    > diagnose it.
    >
    > Most other system resources can be tracked quite easily: disk space,
    > CPU time, committed address space, even network I/O (with tcpdump and
    > netstat -p). But there's no such thing for disk I/O.

    Why can't this be done be looking at the major faults a process causes?

    Not very slick indeed, but it can be done.

    I wrote a small silly /proc/pid/stat parser at
    http://serkiaden.mine.nu/procextract.c

    One could quite easily hack up a tool to monitor I/O per process or
    does it need to be very more precise?

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:05    [W:0.045 / U:93.092 seconds]