SubjectRe: finding out the boot cpu number from userspace
>> Eric went to some lengths to migrate us back to the original boot CPU
>> before kexec'ing. I think this is unnecessary - the new kernel should
>> handle booting on any CPU just fine (there was a panic in there at one
>> point if the boot CPU didn't match the BIOS's spec'ed one, but I removed
>> it).
>
> Several systems have broken SMM or BIOS functionality that requires the
> *real* boot processor is used. The panic was correct and should be
> restored. See apm_power_off() for one example.

Ah, OK didn't know that ... however, I'm not convinced that panicing is
really that useful ... what happens if you proceed? IIRC, this is before
console_init as well, so people won't even see the error. At least it
should only do that on machines that are borked in such a fashion - 99% of
machines will work fine, AFAICS.

M.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:04    [W:0.065 / U:0.440 seconds]