    SubjectRe: ide-cd problems
    On Mon, Aug 02 2004, tabris wrote:

    > On Monday 02 August 2004 9:56 am, Jens Axboe wrote:
    > <snip>
    > > >
    > > > Then we have a severe disagreement between the cdrecord code (or
    > > > at least the runtime warnings) and the Linux-Kernel IDE folks.
    > > > specifically, these lines, while running with cdrecord
    > > > dev=/dev/cdrom
    > <snip>
    > > Warning: Open by 'devname' is unintentional and not supported.
    > >
    > > just says that open-by-device name is unintentional, it doesn't give
    > > you warnings on the transport.
    > >
    > > So in short (and repeating): don't use ATAPI (CDROM_SEND_PACKET), it
    > > sucks. Use SG_IO (which means using open-by-device, which works at
    > > least as well as the stupid faked ATAPI bus/id/lun crap and has the
    > > much better transport). Don't compare apples and oranges.
    > I'll take your point on the technical merits.
    >
    > But now I get to wondering what to do about all the old HOWTOs. the
    > cdrecord folks aren't helping.
    >
    > Maybe instead what should be done is a BIG FAT WARNING in the syslog?
    > that the CDROM_SEND_PACKET interface is deprecated in kernel 2.6? I
    > know that I personally can listen and take your advice, but I worry
    > more about the rest of the users, who either will not hear, or will
    > hear too many conflicting things. Perhaps it won't help, but I'd
    > really like to be able to sell this stuff. And among the necessary
    > things is to be able to have sane warnings, and not have warnings that
    > will scare my customers off!

    CDROM_SEND_PACKET isn't anymore deprecated in 2.6 than it is in 2.4.
    It's equally silly to use it with cdrecord in either kernel. In hind
    sight, adding that interface was a mistake. It was never meant for
    anything serious like a cd burning interface. It lacks good error
    reporting, and it basically could not do worse when it comes to
    performance. So if you are in 2.4, use ide-scsi! If you are in 2.6, use
    ide-cd with SG_IO (eg ATA: method from cdrecord). As it was mentioned a
    little up in this thread, you can actually use x,y,z naming to adresse
    your given devices, if you have some weird urge to do so. This will kill
    the open-by-devname warning from cdrecord. Or you can just ignore this
    warning, it means absolutely nothing.

    > Yes, this isn't really your (you==Jens) problem, but probably the
    > distro maintainers (cc:d ArkLinux) to put in patches silencing some of
    > these warnings, and/or change the default behaviour of their front-end
    > tools.

    And we did, SUSE killed that stupid warning :-)

    > I merely hope to find some sanity. Though I have a feeling I'm looking
    > in the wrong places (Free and Open Source).

    Like any other place, free/open source communities have their sane and
    insane members.

    --
    Jens Axboe