SubjectRe: 2.6.8.1-mm2 (nvidia breakage)
Thanks Bjorn,

I'll move that call to pci_enable_device to earlier in the probe call.

but in Kevin's original email, he's hitting an oops within the
pci_enable_device call. is that likely due to pci_enable_device being
called late?

Thanks,
Terence

On Thu, Aug 19, 2004 at 04:03:55PM -0600, bjorn.helgaas@hp.com wrote:
> On Thursday 19 August 2004 3:51 pm, Terence Ripperda wrote:
> > the original bug report was during module load time, when we're
> > probing our devices via the pci_driver's probe callback. this is well
> > before we hook up interrupts or do anything in our closed source code.
> >
> > I'm attaching a trimmed down version of our driver that pretty much
> > only does this probe (complete source is included). I don't know if
> > this will reproduce the original bug or not.
>
> Thanks, this is enough to show the problem:
>
> nv_kern_probe(struct pci_dev *dev, ...)
> {
> nv->interrupt_line = dev->irq;
> if (pci_enable_device(dev) != 0)
>
> The driver is looking at dev->irq before calling pci_enable_device().
> But dev->irq is not necessarily initialized before pci_enable_device().
>
> I'm not a PCI expert, but I'm not sure you should be looking at
> all the other dev->resource[] stuff before pci_enable_device()
> either. Most of the "modern" drivers in the tree seem to do
> pci_enable_device() very early in the probe() function, i.e.,
> see tg3.c.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:05    [W:0.166 / U:0.008 seconds]