    On Iau, 2004-08-19 at 15:32, Frank Steiner wrote:
    > What a stupid claim. When I call cdrecord on SuSE 9.1, I can burn CDs and
    > DVDs as normal user, without root permissions, without suid, without ide-scsi,
    > using /dev/hdc as device.
    > And this just works fine. So where's the problem?

    You can also erase the drive firmware as a user etc. That's the problem.
    When you fix that cdrecord gets broken by the security fix if you are
    using the SG_IO interface. Patches are kicking around to try and sort
    things out so cd burning is safe as non-root. cdrecord works as root.

    As a security fix it was sufficiently important that it had to be done.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:05    [W:0.019 / U:0.424 seconds]