SubjectRe: problem with fwrite
On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 09:42:41 -0400
Lei Yang <leiyang@nec-labs.com> bubbled:

> Hi all,
>
> This is not really a kernel issue, apologize if anyone thinks that
> this is not the right place to post it. But I am writing a kernel
> module and got stuck on fwrite, really hope someone could point out
> what stupid mistake I've made. I wrote a very simple code to test the
> idea, what I really want to do in fred() is to read from 'dest' and
> write to 'src'. It seems that upon running , fgetc doesn't get
> anything from in_stream, so the first char it gets is an EOF and it
> breaks. Just why fwrite didn't write anything to in_stream?
>
> If this is not the right way to do it, what is ?
>
> Appreciate any comments, even harsh ones.

First: Wrong place!!!

> TIA
> Lei
>
> // in test.c
>
> #include <stdio.h>
>
> fred(char *dest, size_t *destlen, char *src, size_t size)
> {
> FILE *in_stream = tmpfile();
> FILE *out_stream = tmpfile();
> fwrite(src, 1, size, in_stream);

Seek in_stream to 0 (rewind)! like:
rewind(in_stream);

> int c, i;
> for(i = 0;;i++)
> {
> c = fgetc(in_stream);
> fprintf(stderr, "get char %c\n", c);

the fprintf of the read char should be after the EOF check!

> if ( c == EOF) break;
> fputc(c, out_stream);
> }
>
> *destlen = i;
>
> fseek(out_stream, 0, SEEK_SET); //rewind
> fread(dest, 1, *destlen, out_stream);
> fclose(in_stream);
> fclose(out_stream);
> fprintf(stderr, "buf = `%s', size = %d\n", dest, *destlen);
> }
>
> int main(void)
> {
> static char source[] = "really hope this works ";
>
> char *bp = malloc (2048);
> size_t destlen;
>
> fred(bp, &destlen, source, strlen(source));
>
> fprintf(stderr, "buf = `%s', size = %d\n", bp, destlen);
> return 0;
> }
> -
> linux-kernel" in the body of a message to majordomo@vger.kernel.org

MyExcuse:
Traffic jam on the Information Superhighway.

Martin Zwickel <martin.zwickel@technotrend.de>
Research & Development

TechnoTrend AG <http://www.technotrend.de>

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:05    [W:0.034 / U:1.092 seconds]