SubjectRe: [patch] enums to clear suspend-state confusion
Hi!

> > I can replace suspend_state_t with enum system_state, but it might
> > mean that enum system_state will have to be extended with things like
> > RUNTIME_PM_PCI_D0 in future... I guess that's easiest thing to do. It
> > solves all the problems we have *now*.
>
> Can you not also provide a function
>
> pci_state_for(system_state)
>
> then most of the drivers don't have to care. It would also be nice

I actually named that function to_pci_state(), but you had same idea.

> to have a driver flag to indicate which devices can simply be
> hotunplug/hotreplugged over a suspend and don't need extra duplicate
> code.

Hmm, I do not think it is that easy

suspend is:
stop hardware

hotunplug is:
stop hardware
tell user/system it is gone

So it is more like suspend is subset of hotunplug. If coded properly,
hotunplug should probably call suspend code, resulting in no
duplication.

Pavel